Ukrainian forces may launch main attack from 30th Brigade position area - LPR militia

Military&Defence 

Kiev may deliver the main strike from the location of the Ukrainian army’s 30th Brigade, Lugansk People’s Republic People’s Militia spokesman Ivan Filiponenko said at a press briefing at the Lugansk Media Centre.

“Our intelligence reported that Ukrainian army commander-in-chief (Valery) Zaluzhny was expected to arrive at the 30th Brigade location in the next few days together with a group of officers of the General Headquarters for reconnaissance," Filiponenko said. "Supposedly, The Ukrainian army may make the main thrust on this axis.”

The Ukrainian army’s 30th Separate Mechanised Brigade operates in the Svetlodarsk Salient area.

Earlier, LPR militia chief-of-staff Yan Leschenko said that Ukrainian forces had been actively preparing for switching over to hostilities in Donbass while careful hiding the massing of forces and hardware in the zone of the so-called joint forces operation. Leschenko also said that the Ukrainian army at this point is not ready to launch an offensive along the whole contact line.

The Ukrainian government launched the so-called anti-terrorist operation against Donbass in April 2014.  Conflict settlement relies on the Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements, signed on February 12, 2015 in the Belarussian capital by the Contact Group members and coordinated by the Normandy Four heads of states (Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine).  The document provides for ceasefire and withdrawal of heavy weapons from the contact line. *i*s

Editors' Choice