LUGANSK, November 26 - The Lugansk People’s Republic “Memorial” social organisation has helped LPR residents who suffered from Ukrainian aggression to send more than 500 statements of claim to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), LPR Deputy Foreign Minister Anna Soroka, chairwoman of “Memorial” and the Special Commission under the LPR Head for recording war crimes committed by the Kiev regime, said at a press briefing at the Lugansk Media Centre.
“As of now, we understand that more than 500 claims on behalf of LPR residents have been sent to the ECHR (since “Memorial” began to operate). We recorded any damages claims for which they wanted legal defence from international courts,” Soroka said.
A Moscow-based law firm which cooperates with “Memorial” sends LPR residents’ claims to the ECHR and the latter “has not refused to accept them so far,” she said.
Soroka said that some cases were resounding. For example, a group of LPR residents filled out pension claim forms in the Ukrainian territory, but the ECHR refused to consider this claim.
“This fact shows the political bias of this judicial body, but we’re continuing our practice (sending claims to the ECHR) as we’ve gained some experience,” she said.
Earlier, the “Memorial” press service said that the organisation had helped another group of Pervomaisk residents who had suffered from Kiev’s military aggression, have consultations in Russia over filling out claim forms for the ECHR.
The first group of LPR residents, assisted by “Memorial” sent complains to the European Court of Human Rights in May 2019.
As of early November 2019, it had helped more than 900 people send statements of claim against Ukraine to the ECHR and the International Criminal Court.
In November 2019, LPR and DPR residents set up a public commission for assessing the economic damage caused to the Donbass population by Ukraine.
The organisation is located at Lugansk, 5 Great Patriotic War Heroes Square. Opening days and hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, 10:00 - 17:00. Phone: (072) 100 34 55; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Ukrainian government launched the so-called anti-terrorist operation against Donbass in April 2014. Conflict settlement relies on the Package of Measures for the Implementation of the Minsk Agreements, signed on February 12, 2015 in the Belarussian capital by the Contact Group members and coordinated by the Normandy Four heads of states (Russia, Germany, France and Ukraine). The document provides for ceasefire and withdrawal of heavy weapons from the contact line.